Sunday, January 23, 2011

Smartphone Heartbreak

To the cellular phone (and all it's inconsiderate users):

You have broken my heart. You've stirred up an anger in me so strong, I've never felt anything like it. And it feels strange to be so incredibly mad at an inanimate object. You've snuck into millions of peoples' lives under the guise of being efficient and convenient, yet that's trumped by your ability to make people rude, inconsiderate and self-involved. They can't keep from being curious every time you ring with a phone call, ding with a text, or alert that there's a new email, and so they stop and drop everything immediately to give you their full attention, making them ignore the people they're with, or the places they're at. Damn you, cell phone, for turning wonderful family moments into "Shhhh - So&So is on the phone!" or for interrupting important conversations, to finish with a half-focused participant with one eye glued to the messages coming through on the phone, or for forcing mealtimes into a great internet surfing opportunity instead of enjoying the company of those around the table.

I have never had a cell phone, nor will I ever in my lifetime. To my grave I will go having never been held hostage to this ridiculous addiction to be constantly within contact of the rest of the world. I have experienced first-hand the hold cell phones can take on people, and how it affects the ones closest to them. I have felt second-rate, unimportant, disrespected and just plain ignored and I refuse to ever involve myself in what the world views as such a resourceful tool. There's something to be said about being unreachable for awhile, to give the person you're with the undivided attention they should receive, giving them the impression that they're the only one you want to be spending your time with at that moment. That's what our world has been missing since the birth of the cell phone: the value of time spent with others uninterrupted. And I'm certain, we'll see how it changes all of us and our relationships over the decades to come.

No comments: