Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Screamer and The Liar

It's amazing what we forget, as parents - all the various phases of infant/toddlerhood. I'm pretty sure we were designed intentionally to not recall these frustrating memories; most parents would probably stop having children after the first one if we could vividly remember the not so fun times.

However, I'm trying my hardest to think back to Nate at a year and a half, and I just don't remember him having the kind of temper that Cody seems to flare at us all day long... every day. The kid HAS to have everyone around him know just how angry he is at whatever is bothering him by letting out raging screams at the top of his lungs. It's embarrassing to go out in public with him, because he gets mad about everything! There is no pleasing this child. And I'm on the fence as to how to discipline him... He's very much aware of when he's in trouble and knows the word 'no' but he doesn't seem to be ready for time-outs yet. For now I've resorted to flicking his hand to reprimand, after several failed attempts to have him obey by just using words. But, man, this kid has a temper like no other. I'm frightened for the future.

And Nathan - my sweet firstborn - has learned to lie. And I don't mean those really obvious toddler fibs, I mean full-on stories that he repeatedly sticks to. I never knew how difficult it could be to explain as simply as possible the difference between lying and telling the truth. And I hate having to constantly suspect that he might be lying to me. It's just so sad to watch such a pure and innocent child dig himself deeper and deeper into our terrible human nature!

Yep - we're a real treat, our household. I guess I've got my work cut out for me.












No comments: