Friday, February 11, 2011

Whispers of God

Have you ever had a friend who knew what you needed before you even had to say it? Maybe someone who carried your burdens along with you, far more than you ever expected? I have several people like that in my life... People who listen closely to God's promptings to be there for those they love in ways that truly reveal His love for us. One of my friends will wake up in the middle of the night often, burdened to pray for someone specific. And later on she'll learn that something was troubling that person or they were going through something difficult.

I've been so blessed by these people in my life. But it makes me wonder... Am I that person to others? To anyone? I wish I was, but I just don't think I am. And as I think more and more about this, I really long to be that for many people in my life. Especially for my husband and kids. So lately God's been reminding me daily the need to stop and listen to His voice. And that the best way to do that is to spend more time in prayer, and to read my bible more. Both things I really struggle with. So, it's so funny when our church small group leaders take off for a month to Thailand for missions, and Monte & I are asked to take over as leaders, what do you suppose the 4-week study topic might be? "The Power of a Whisper" by Bill Hybels - the importance of listening to the whispers of God and having the courage to obey. Sheesh, do you think I'm supposed to learn something here?? I love it when things like this become so obvious... Like being hit over the head with one of those giant cartoon clubs. We've just gotten started with the first session, but I already know that hearing and obeying God's voice usually requires some sort of personal sacrifice. However, I know that the results far outweigh the sacrifices, and what greater way to love the people around you than to tune in to what God wants for them.

No comments: